Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dear Physics,

I will be the first to admit our relationship is not good. I think you are selfish and interfere with my life at the wrong times. You consume my husband, you are the talk at dinner parties, and because of you I lived here. This year has been one of my most challenging. On one hand, I have been able to travel around Europe see Paris, Florence, Venice, Lyon, Bern, Lausanne, etc. I probably wouldn't have been able to do that without you. On the other hand, I gave up my right to have a real job. I became a nanny and then a chauffeur. Think of the traveling we could have done if we didn't have to live on a graduate student salary, or as Ronny says peasant wages. I've been bored out of my mind and lonely--most of the time I blame you. However, because of this situation I've realized I'm tough, at least tougher than people think I am. I've handled every situation thrown at me. Sometimes those situations beat me, sometimes I beat them--every time I learned something. Don't think that because I am giving you some credit that we are some how okay or could one day be friends. That's not going to happen. I'm just acknowledging that your not all bad.
Sincerely,
Jeannette

3 comments:

  1. :)

    I know he appreciates it.

    This is probably not the last you will see of "physics".

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, when did "Physics" obtain a gender? (No offense; just curious).

    Second, I appreciate your specific choice of words. "I have HANDLED every situation thrown at me." While "situations" have been handled, objectives may have been missed, and challenges may have gone unconquered. Perhaps the "physics" that resides in us all is responsible for that. We may never know.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess Ronny will owe Jeannette one sometime..... when he discovers a new particle, he will have to name it the jron..... with "j" coming first because she had some disappointments when plans for more engaging activities in France didn't work out while he was learning first hand how to examine subatomic things which only exist for 0.0000000000001seconds.

    We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the US of A.

    ReplyDelete